- Academica Group. (2016). How indigenization can support students while honouring reconciliation. Retrieved from: https://forum.academica.ca/forum/how-indigenization-can-support-students-while-honouring-reconciliation
- Cappon, Paul. (2008). Measuring success First Nations, Inuit and Metis learning, policy options. Retrieved from: http://policyoptions.irpp.org/magazines/whither-the-liberals/measuring-success-in-first-nations-inuit-and-metis-learning/
- Greenway, Nora. Classroom Organization Ideas. (Word doc). TRU Aboriginal Instructor’s Workshop.
- Hyslop, Katie. (2016). How to bring First Peoples into BC classrooms. Retrieved from: https://thetyee.ca/News/2016/11/03/First-Peoples-in-BC-Classrooms/
- Joseph, Bob. (2017). 27 Tips on what to say and do: Working effectively with Indigenous Peoples (Free order). Retrieved from http://www.ictinc.ca/27-working-effectively-with-aboriginal-peoples-must-dos
- Kajner, T., Fletcher, F., Makokis, P. (2012). Balancing head and heart: The importance of relational accountability in community-university partnerships. Retrieved from: http://ualberta.academia.edu/FayFletcher
- Learn Alberta. (n.d.). Walking together: First Nations, Métis and Inuit Perspective in curriculum. Retrieved from: http://www.learnalberta.ca/content/aswt/
- Mixon, Laura. (2009). Teaching Aboriginal higher learners: Professional development workbook. Retrieved from: http://www.cardenconsulting.com/uploads/3/2/4/4/3244024/aboriginalteachingworkbook_finalmar09.pdf
- Pete, Shauneen. (n.d.). 100 Ways to indigenize and decolonize academic programs and courses. Retrieved from: https://www.uregina.ca/president/assets/docs/president-docs/indigenization/indigenize-decolonize-university-courses.pdf
- Tanaka, M. (2016). Learning and teaching together: Weaving Indigenous ways of knowing into education. Vancouver: University of British Columbia Press.
- Wilson, Theresa. (2001). Best practices in teaching Aboriginal children: From an Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal Perspective (Adaptation from Master’s Thesis). University of Victoria. Retrieved from: https://www.oise.utoronto.ca/deepeningknowledge/UserFiles/File/UploadedAmina_/Best_Practices_for_Teaching_Aboriginal_Students.pdf
Resources for Experiential Learning
Derrick, Jann. The Box-Circle Experiential Exercise [experiential learning tool]. Retrieved from: http://www.4windswellness.ca/workshops-and-training/when-rabbit-met-turtle/
KAIROS: Canadian Ecumenical Justice Initiatives. (2015). The Blanket Exercise [teaching tool]. Retrieved from: http://kairosblanketexercise.org/
Other Universities’ Responses to the Call for Reconciliation
- BC Campus. (2016, April). Supporting the indigenization of higher education in B.C. Retrieved from: https://bccampus.ca/2016/04/19/supporting-the-indigenization-of-higher-education-in-b-c/
- Camosun College. (n.d.). Learning about indigenization. Retrieved from: http://web.camosun.ca/cetl/curriculum-design/learning-about-indigenization#pdf
- Cape Breton Univeristy. (n.d.). Learning form Knowledge Keepers of Mi’kma’ki. Retrieved from http://www.cbu.ca/indigenous-affairs/unamaki-college/mikm-2701/
- Halpern, Rachel. (2017, Jan 16). President Meric Gertler: U of T embraces opportunity to work toward reconciliation. The University of Toronto. Retrieved from: https://www.utoronto.ca/news/truth-and-reconciliation-u-t
- University of British Columbia. (n.d.). The TRC and you. Retrieved from: http://irsi.aboriginal.ubc.ca/the-trc-and-you/
- University of the Fraser Valley. (2007). Indigenizing our academy: Strategic planning indigenous post-secondary education at UFV. Retrieved from: https://www.ufv.ca/media/assets/indigenous-affairs-office/Indigenizing+the+Academy+2012.pdf
- University of Toronto Press. (2016). Indigenous Studies Course Books [Text Resource List]. Retrieved from: https://www.utppublishing.com/pdf/UTP_2016-17_IndigenousStudies_Web.pdf
- Cplul’kw’ten – The Gathering Place
- Handbook for Educators of Aboriginal Students
- TRU Academic Plan
- TRU Office of Aboriginal Education
- TRU Strategic Priorities
- Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada. (2015). Calls to action. Retrieved from: http://nctr.ca/assets/reports/Calls_to_Action_English2.pdf
- United Nations. (2008, March). United Nations declaration on the rights of Indigenous Peoples. Retrieved from: http://www.un.org/esa/socdev/unpfii/documents/DRIPS_en.pdf
Courses on Indigenization
- University of British Columbia. (2017). Reconciliation through indigenous education (UBC Course Offering). Retrieved from: https://www.edx.org/course/reconciliation-through-indigenous-ubcx-indedu200x-1
- University of Alberta. (2017). Indigenous Canada (MOOC). Retrieved from: https://www.ualberta.ca/courses/indigenous-canada
- Battiste, Marie. (n.d.). Indigenous knowledge and pedagogy in First Nations education: A literature review with recommendations. Apamuwek Institute. Retrieved from: http://www.afn.ca/uploads/files/education/24._2002_oct_marie_battiste_indigenousknowledgeandpedagogy_lit_review_for_min_working_group.pdf
- Bartlett, C. Hatcher, A. Marshall, A., and Marshall M. (2009). Two-eyed seeing in the classroom environment: concepts, approaches, and challenges. Canadian Journal of Science, Mathematics and Technology Education, 9(3), 141-153. Retrieved from: http://integrativescience.ca/uploads/articles/Hatcher-etal-2009-CJSMT-Two-Eyed-Seeing-classroom-cconcepts-approaches-challenges.pdf
- Kirkness, Verna. J., Barnhardt, Ray. (2001). The four R’s—respect, relevance, reciprocity, responsibility. Knowledge across cultures: A Contribution to dialogue among civilizations. Hayhoe, R., Pan, J. (Eds.). Comparative Education Research Centre. University of Hong Kong. Retrieved from: http://www.ankn.uaf.edu/IEW/winhec/FourRs2ndEd.html.
- Pidgeon, Michelle. (2008.). Pushing against the margins: Indigenous theorizing of “success” and retention in higher education. [Abstract]. Journal of College Student Retention: Research, Theory & Practice, 10 (3): 339-360. doi: 10.2190/CS.10.3.e. Retrieved from http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.2190/CS.10.3.e
- Tomaszewski, A.E., Powell, T. L., Gallop, C., London, C., and Gyles, S. M. (—-). The university experience of underrepresented groups: The case of Aboriginal students in Canada. Mount Royal University, Calgary, Alberta. Retrieved from: http://www.academia.edu/1475136/The_University_Experience_of_Underrepresented_Groups_The_Case_of_Aboriginal_Students_in_Canada
- Tuck, E & K. Yang, W. (2012). Decolonization is not a metaphor. Decolonization indigeneity, education & society. Retrieved from: http://decolonization.org/index.php/des/article/view/18630
Local First Nations History
- Billy, Janice. (2009). Back from the brink: Decolonizing through the restoration of Secwepmec language, culture, and identity [dissertation]. Vancouver: Simon Fraser University. Retrieved from: http://summit.sfu.ca/item/9590
Ignace, Ronald Eric (Stsmel’ecqen). (2008). Our oral histories are our iron posts: Secwepemc stories and historical consciousness [dissertation]. Vancouver: Simon Fraser University. Retrieved from: https://books.google.ca/books/about/Our_Oral_Histories_are_Our_Iron_Posts_Se.html?id=FDvRJX9wI44C&redir_esc=y
- Johnson, Shelley. (1983). “I screamed for a really long time” Traumatized urban Indigenous children in Canadian child protection and education systems [dissertation]. Victoria: University of Victoria. Retrieved from: http://icwrn.uvic.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/i-screamed-internally.pdf
Shuswap Nation. (2010). The memorial to Sir Wilfrid Laurier. Retrieved from: http://shuswapnation.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/137543_ShuswapNation_Bro.pdf
- Walton, Patrick. (2011, Sept 28). Through the eyes of elders. Retrieved from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMO4psH5tTU
- Kovacs Patricia Author (2009). Synthesis Report of the Aboriginal Learning Knowledge Centre’s Literature Reviews: Responsive Educational Systems. 978-1-926612-33-1. University of Saskatchewan, Aboriginal Learning Knowledge Centre, Saskatoon, SK and First Nations and Adult Higher Education Consortium, Calgary, AB. Retrieved (2017, Jan 30) from http://aerc.usask.ca.
- Myre, Nadia. (2010). As I am (Film). Retrieved from: http://www.nfb.ca/film/as_i_am/
- School District 27 Residential Schools and Reconciliation. (2015, OCT). First Nations Principles of Learning. Retrieved from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PgrfCVCt_A
- Smith, Malinda S. (2012, March 30). Aboriginal education matters: The status of Aboriginal People and scholarship in the academy. Federation for the humanities and social sciences (Blog). Retrieved from: http://www.ideas-idees.ca/blog/aboriginal-education-matters-status-aboriginal-people-and-scholarship-academy.
- University of British Columbia. (2007). What I learned in class today: Aboriginal issues in the classroom [Video, 20:41 min]. First Nations Studies Program. Retrieved from http://www.intheclass.arts.ubc.ca/video.html.
Not seeing your favorite resource here? Please share it with us. Thank you.